Newsflash:

Trump Orders US Carrier to Mediterranean Amid Iran Nuclear Tensions

USS Gerald R. Ford deployed as Trump weighs limited strike on Iran over nuclear tensions in the Middle East.

2 min read

USS Gerald R. Ford in Mediterranean

US aircraft carrier USS Gerald R. Ford enters Mediterranean amid rising tensions with Iran over nuclear program and potential strikes [IC: by AFP]

February 21, 2026

The USS Gerald R. Ford aircraft carrier entered the Mediterranean Sea on Friday as part of a massive U.S. military buildup.

President Donald Trump ordered the deployment amid growing tensions over Iran’s nuclear program. Trump said he is “considering” a limited strike if negotiations fail to produce a new deal with Tehran.

The carrier was photographed transiting the Strait of Gibraltar, linking the Atlantic Ocean to the Mediterranean. The move comes after another U.S. carrier was already sent to the Middle East.

Officials say the military buildup includes more than 120 aircraft, drones, and combat ships, preparing for a potential strike.

Military Buildup Raises Concerns

Reports suggest the U.S. could launch a limited strike on Iran as soon as this weekend. The administration says the operation would pressure Iran to comply with U.S. demands for a new nuclear agreement.

However, critics point out that U.S. officials have not provided evidence of an immediate threat from Iran, the only internationally recognized reason for military action.

This buildup is being compared to the scale of the 2003 invasion of Iraq, but experts note important differences. Unlike Iraq, there are no claims of weapons of mass destruction. Many see the planned strike as a show of force that could provoke a prolonged conflict in the region.

Contradictions in Claims About Iran’s Nuclear Program

The White House claims Iran’s nuclear facilities need to be stopped, yet previous U.S. strikes already targeted these sites.

Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth has said that Iran’s nuclear capabilities were “obliterated” last year, though experts argue the program was only delayed, not destroyed.

Iranian officials maintain that they are willing to keep their nuclear program peaceful. Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi said that the U.S. has not demanded zero uranium enrichment, and discussions focus on ensuring the program remains non-military.

Despite these statements, the Trump administration continues to insist on ending all enrichment. Analysts warn that any military action could escalate tensions and have severe consequences for the Middle East.

Meanwhile, U.S. public opinion remains largely opposed to military strikes against Iran.

Read more:Six Regional Foreign Ministers to Attend Upcoming Iran-US Talks in Istanbul

Related Articles

A 5.9-magnitude earthquake jolts KP, tremors felt across multiple districts. Authorities report no casualties and ensure safety measures.
Pakistan prepares to face New Zealand in a crucial T20 World Cup match in Colombo, aiming for a strong performance.
Pakistan and the US launch a new framework to redevelop the Roosevelt Hotel in New York, aiming to turn a dormant asset into revenue.

Post a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *