Amid rising controversy over the national hockey team’s tour of Australia, Pakistan Hockey Federation (PHF) President Tariq Bugti has stepped down. He informed the Prime Minister of his resignation and called for a committee to conduct a transparent investigation.
He claimed the team’s global ranking had improved from 18 to 13, which he described as a positive development.
The controversy intensified after the national team allegedly faced substandard accommodation and administrative issues during the Pro Hockey League in Australia.
When the team returned home on Wednesday morning, captain Imad Shakeel Butt spoke to the media at Lahore Airport, levelling serious allegations against the team management and relevant authorities.
The captain said players were asked to clean kitchens, utensils, clothes, and bathrooms, and in some instances, the team had to cook their own meals and spend time on the streets.
He confirmed that viral social media photos and videos showing players sitting on sidewalks with their bags were accurate.
Imad Shakeel Butt stated that when the matter was raised with the Pakistan Sports Board, their response claimed that required funds had already been provided to the PHF, while the team management said full funding had not been received.
The captain also alleged that team management held private meetings with players, questioning their loyalty.
He called on Prime Minister Shahbaz Sharif and relevant authorities to take immediate notice, emphasizing that the upcoming World Cup qualifying round is a crucial event and the team’s morale has been affected.
Reactions and Calls for Transparent Investigation
Meanwhile, head coach Tahir Zaman denied the allegations and called for a transparent investigation.
Speaking at a press conference in Lahore, he said the team’s performance was improving, and the sudden administrative allegations were surprising.
He stressed that losses are part of the game and international exposure would benefit the team in the future.
Prime Minister Shahbaz Sharif has taken notice of the matter and ordered an investigation, assuring action against those responsible.
Tariq Bugti blamed administrative failures on the Pakistan Sports Board, stating that the PSB held the funds for the Pro Hockey League but the money for hotel bookings was not released on time.
The social media response has been intense, with fans and former players demanding high-level investigations and accountability. It remains to be seen who will be held responsible and what steps will be taken to resolve the administrative crisis in Pakistan hockey.
Read more:The Fall and Rise of the Pakistan Hockey TeamThe Fall and Rise of the Pakistan Hockey Team