Newsflash:

India Bans Imports from Pakistan in Post-Pahalgam Attack

India bans imports from Pakistan after the Pahalgam attack, heightening tensions and suspending limited trade ties amid regional instability.

2 min read

ndia Bans Imports from Pakistan in Response to Pahalgam Attack

Vehicles wait in a line before making their way to Pakistan at the Attari-Wagah border crossing near Amritsar, India April 30, 2025. REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas/File Photo Purchase Licensing Rights

May 3, 2025

New Delhi, May 3, 2025 – In a significant escalation of regional tensions, India bans imports from Pakistan following the deadly attack on Indian security forces in Pahalgam, Jammu and Kashmir. The attack, which killed seven soldiers and injured several others, has been blamed by Indian authorities on Pakistan-based militant outfits, prompting swift economic retaliation.

India’s Ministry of Commerce announced the suspension of all inbound trade from Pakistan, citing national security concerns and accusing Islamabad of failing to curb cross-border terrorism. The ban takes immediate effect and halts the limited trade that had slowly resumed after years of strained relations.

The suspension affects key commodities such as textiles, rock salt, pharmaceuticals, and agricultural goods, which were still being traded informally or under specific exemptions. A senior Indian official stated that “no form of engagement can be sustained while our soldiers are being targeted,” describing the measure as “a necessary step to safeguard national interest.”

In Islamabad, Pakistan’s Foreign Office condemned the move, calling it an unjustified and politically motivated reaction. It reiterated Pakistan’s denial of any involvement in the Pahalgam incident and warned that such unilateral steps further destabilize the region. “India must refrain from knee-jerk measures that undermine long-term peace and economic cooperation,” the statement read.

Meanwhile, India continued its blocking spree as Information Minister Attaullah Tarar said today his social media account had also been blocked in the neighbouring country, the Associated Press of Pakistan reported. The Indian government has already blocked access to the official YouTube channels of Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif, Defence Minister Khawaja Asif, and the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) for users in India.

India has blocked dozens of accounts so far in the wake of the Pahalgam attack, including those of high-profile Pakistani cricketers, actors, entertainment channels, news publications, and journalists.

As India bans imports from Pakistan, the move adds to the intensifying wave of diplomatic, economic, and digital disengagement between the two nuclear-armed neighbours.

Related Articles

Operation Cleanup was halted on Qatar’s request, which offered mediation, says Deputy PM & Foreign Minister in a major disclosure.
Sri Lanka requests global assistance as Cyclone Ditwah kills 123, leaves 130 missing, and destroys thousands of homes across the island.
The Taliban betray Pashtunwali by sheltering TTP militants while Pakistan, upholding Melmastia, exposes Kabul’s selective cultural use.
Bella Hadid and Pedro Pascal to host a benefit concert in LA to raise funds for Palestine and Sudan relief efforts.

Post a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *